Re: question about Network Space v2 LED driver

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 07:43:15PM +0200, Marek Behun wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 15:42:01 +0200
> Simon Guinot <simon.guinot@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:52:58AM +0200, Marek Behun wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hi Marek,
> >

> > > the leds-ns2 kernel driver has allows 3 modes for a LED:
> > >   OFF, ON and blinking on SATA activity
> > >
> > > This third mode is activated via another sysfs file in the LED device
> > > sysfs directory: /sys/class/leds/<LED>/sata.
> > >
> > > Since we now support LED private HW triggers, it would be better if
> > > this was rewritten to use this new API.
> >
> > It sounds like a great idea.
> >

> > > The question is how many people use this mode and may complain if we
> > > change this sysfs ABI?
> >
> > Not a lot IMHO. This LED devices are found in some LaCie/Seagate NAS.
> > Most of them, such as the Seagate NAS 4-Bay (Marvell Armada 370 SoC)
> > are supported by the Debian distribution. For the users I have been in
> > contact with, I am pretty confident they should be able to deal with
> > this changes. They already dealt with worse.
> >
> > Another user is the Seagate NAS distribution. And this user will be
> > happy to switch to the new ABI.
> >

> > > Another question is whether the LED supports another HW blinking mode,
> > > or just SATA? How is this wired on the board?
> >
> > Three different LED modes are available: off, on and SATA activity
> > blinking. The LED modes are controlled through two GPIOs (command and
> > slow): each combination of values for the command/slow GPIOs corresponds
> > to a LED mode.
> >
> > For an example, have a look at the leds-ns2 DT node in the
> > armada-370-seagate-nas-4bay.dts file.
> >
> > The only hardware blinking mechanism for this LED device is SATA.
> > Basically the SATA blinking signal is built from the SATA pin activity
> > of the HDD. This signal is a little bit reworked by some electronic
> > components in order to produce a blinking rate OK for the human eye.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Simon
>
> I apologize, I accidentaly sent the question from my private e-mail :)
>
> Simon, thanks for the info.
>
> Another question: Is there only one disk on this device?

There are several NAS devices using the leds-ns2 driver. On most of them
the activity is wired to a single disk. But on some (such as the Network
Space v2 Max), the activity is wired to two disks.

> The reason why I am asking is this:
>   We already have disk-activity trigger. I would like to implement a
>   generic LED trigger offloading API, so that if user chooses
>   disk-activity and the LED can offload that to hardware, it wil.
>
>   But the disk-activity trigger blinks the LED on activity of any
>   disk, you can't choose one as in the netdev trigger.
>
>   If it is possible to have only one disk on that device (which is
>   improbable if there are USB ports) than implementing offloading will
>   be trivial.
>
>   If not, than we would need to allow disk-activity trigger to select
>   the disk as well. This is probably good anyway.
>
> Are you willing to work on this with me? At least reviewing and testing
> patches?

Yes I'll review and test your patches.

Simon

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]