Re: [RFC 00/19] Async sub-notifiers and how to use them

Hi!

> >> Is this always the case? In the R-Car VIN driver I register the video
> >> devices using video_register_device() in the complete handler. Am I
> >> doing things wrong in that driver? I had a patch where I moved the
> >> video_register_device() call to probe time but it got shoot down in
> >> review and was dropped.
> >
> > I don't think the current implementation is wrong, it's just different
> > from other drivers; there's really no requirement regarding this AFAIU.
> > It's one of the things where no attention has been paid I presume.
>
> It actually is a requirement: when a device node appears applications can
> reasonably expect to have a fully functioning device. True for any device
> node. You don't want to have to wait until some unspecified time before
> the full functionality is there.

Well... /dev/sdb appears, but you still get -ENOMEDIA before user
presses "Turn on USB storage" button on android phone.

So I agree it is not desirable, but it sometimes happens.

									Pavel

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]