Re: [RFC 00/19] Async sub-notifiers and how to use them

Hi Sakari,

On 2017-07-20 19:14:01 +0300, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for the review.
>
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 01:42:55PM +0200, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > On 18/07/17 21:03, Sakari Ailus wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > This RFC patchset achieves a number of things which I've put to the same
> > > patchset for they need to be show together to demonstrate the use cases.
> > >
> > > I don't really intend this to compete with Niklas's patchset but much of
> > > the problem area addressed by the two is the same.
> > >
> > > Comments would be welcome.
> > >
> > > - Add AS3645A LED flash class driver.
> > >
> > > - Add async notifiers (by Niklas).
> > >
> > > - V4L2 sub-device node registration is moved to take place at the same time
> > >   with the registration of the sub-device itself. With this change,
> > >   sub-device node registration behaviour is aligned with video node
> > >   registration.
> > >
> > > - The former is made possible by moving the bound() callback after
> > >   sub-device registration.
> > >
> > > - As all the device node registration and link creation is done as the
> > >   respective devices are probed, there is no longer dependency to the
> > >   notifier complete callback which as itself is seen problematic. The
> > >   complete callback still exists but there's no need to use it, pending
> > >   changes in individual drivers.
> > >
> > >   See:
> > >   <URL:http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg118323.html>
> > >
> > >   As a result, if a part of the media device fails to initialise because it
> > >   is e.g. physically broken, it will be possible to use what works.
> >
> > I've got major problems with this from a userspace point of view. In the vast
> > majority of cases you just want to bail out if one or more subdevs fail.
>
> I admit it's easier for the user space if the device becomes available only
> when all its component drivers have registered.
>
> Also remember that video nodes are registered in the file system right on
> device probe time. It's only sub-device and media device node registration
> that has taken place in the notifier's complete handler.

Is this always the case? In the R-Car VIN driver I register the video
devices using video_register_device() in the complete handler. Am I
doing things wrong in that driver? I had a patch where I moved the
video_register_device() call to probe time but it got shoot down in
review and was dropped.

--
Regards,
Niklas Söderlund

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]