Re: [RFC 11/19] v4l2-async: Register sub-devices before calling bound callback

Hi Hans,

On 20/07/17 17:23, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On 20/07/17 18:09, Sakari Ailus wrote:
>> Hi Hans,

>>> I don't think this is a good reason. If one of the subdevices fail, then your
>>> hardware is messed up and there is no point in continuing.
>>
>> That's entirely untrue in general case.

Adding my 2 cents ... because I'm hitting this ... right now.

>> If you have e.g. a mobile phone with a single camera, yes, you're right.
>> But most mobile phones have two cameras these days. Embedded systems may
>> have many, think of automotive use cases: you could have five or ten
>> cameras there.
I have a MAX9286 which has 4 camera subdevices connected.

Right now, if *ONE* fails - they all fail. - This is very much undesirable
behaviour.

In this instance, when one fails (perhaps I have not connected one camera) then
the remaining camera subdevices all probe successfully, but the complete
callback is never called. Therefore the rest of my pipeline is dead, - But that
could now mean my reversing camera is not working because my wing mirror camera
was 'knocked' off... :-(

> These are all very recent developments. Today userspace can safely assume
> that either everything would be up and running, or nothing at all.

This is a strong point, and I'm struggling to decide if I agree or not :D

There are so many use cases, it's hard to make one statement fit all.

For example - currently - an analogue input source might not be connected - but
userspace may not know that, and would instead capture a black screen.

Maybe that doesn't even match ... I'm tired ;)

>> It is not feasible to prevent the entire system from working if a single
>> component is at fault --- this is really any component such as a lens
>> controller.
>
> All I am saying is that there should be a way to indicate that you accept
> that parts are faulty, and that you (i.e. userspace) are able to detect
> and handle that.
>
> You can't just change the current behavior and expect existing applications
> to work. E.g. says a sensor failed. Today the application might detect that
> the video node didn't come up, so something is seriously wrong with the hardware
> and it shows a message on the display. If this would change and the video node
> *would* come up, even though there is no sensor the behavior of the application
> would almost certainly change unexpectedly.
>
> How to select which behavior you want isn't easy. The only thing I can come up
> with is a module option. Not very elegant, unfortunately. But it doesn't
> belong in the DT, and when userspace gets involved it is already too late.

Yes, this sounds nasty - but 3 out of 4 working cameras being disabled / not
coming up because one failed sounds worse to me currently (I would say that ...
my cameras didn't come up) ... :-(

<thinking cap on ... going to bed>

--
Kieran

> Regards,
>
> 	Hans

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]