Re: Hardware blink and brightness

On 20/05/16 08:25, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> On 05/19/2016 05:57 PM, Tony Makkiel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     Is there any particular reason to stipulate, (hardware) blink should be turned off, when brightness is set to 0? Following is copied from "Documentation/leds/leds-class.txt"
>>
>> "Setting the brightness to zero with brightness_set() callback function
>> should completely turn off the LED and cancel the previously programmed
>> hardware blinking function, if any."
>>
>> The chip driver could also use other methods for the same, keeping brightness independent of blink.
>>
>> For example,  delay_on/off
>>   delay_off=0 ==> blink off, led on.
>>   delay_on=0  ==> blink off, led off.
>>
>> Or am I overlooking something?
>
> Setting brightness to zero not only disables blinking but also
> any other active trigger. Besides, would it make sense to have
> blinking enabled with brightness set to 0?

I agree brightness set to 0, should turn off led. I was thinking of
case when user turns led back ON with a brightness value. Ideally
led comes back on blinking as was configured previously(making,
brightness and blink independent). At present, once the brightness
is set, blink also needs to be reconfigured.

> Anyway, we have to keep this interface as-is so as not to break
> existing users of the LED API.

I see your point now, Thank you. I was under the wrong impression, this
could be achieved without code change.

Initially, I thought of using delay_on/delay_off, to turn
off blink. But with this approach, even if it will save a step
initially (no need to reconfigure blink), will add additional
step (re-enable trigger) to disable blink.