Re: kernel strange behaviour

--- On Mon, 10/13/08, Thorny <thorntreehome@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Thorny <thorntreehome@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: kernel strange behaviour
> To: linux-laptop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Monday, October 13, 2008, 2:09 PM
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:55:14 -0700, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
>
> > --- On Sun, 10/12/08, Thorny
> <thorntreehome@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Thorny <thorntreehome@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: kernel strange
> >> behaviour To: linux-laptop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> Date: Sunday, October 12, 2008, 12:48 PM [edit]
> >

> >> What are those "few things" you are
> >> "missing", since other people with the
> same D520 are using the stock
> >> kernel, I can't think what would be
> >> missing? What happened when you tried to install
> with the stock kernel?
> >>
> > First of all I've always compiled my own kernel
> and optimized the
> > configuration. If you have a look into the stock
> kernel config you'll see
> > why. I didn't install kubuntu kernel at all. In
> the debian one I see CPU =
> > Pentuim M, but myone is Core 2, so I think it's
> enough reason to explain
> > why I preffer custom kernel. In my 9-10 years of linux
> expereience I've
> > been using always custom and it was always good
> choice. In second place I
> > have a uvcvideo webcam the drivers are included in the
> 2.6.26. The third
> > reason is that I have a VMplayer and didn't manage
> to build it with the on
> > stock kernel .... and finally I'm following the
> advice of the kernel
> > people to install the latest and to test just for to
> bug them with my
> > questions ;-)
> >
> > If you do not have kernel experience I doubt you know
> more than me and
> > you'll be able to help me. If it would be an easy
> question most probably I
> > should have fixed it myself
> >
> > thanks and regards
>
> You are welcome. A custom kernel is a good choice except in
> the instance
> in which it doesn't work, like now.
>
> What I don't understand is, if you are "following
> the advice of the kernel
> people", why are you asking for advice here rather
> than on a kernel
> developers list. It seems like you would get better advice
> from more
> knowledgeable people that way.
>
> I agree with your assessment, I doubt I know as much as you
> about it and I
> certainly don't have any hardware that requires such a
> new kernel version.
>
> Regards to you also Emanoil.

I didn't want to subscribe the kernel dev list, because it has a lot of postings and it will flood my mailbox ... and until 8.Nov I don't have time to play with it anyway ... just looking for an opinion and a sign of life here and may be a good advice.

I could compile and test with 2.6.27 after Nov. 8th and then I'll have time to bug the kernel people - they convinced me they know what they are doing so I trust them

I'm using a notebook, so I was thinking linux-notebooks/laptop on vger.kernl.org should be somehow connected to kernel development - isn't it ?

About the hardware ... yeah I could compile against the 2.6.24 headers from kubuntu - but why should I if I'm compiling any way. Besides from my experience as you also agree a little bit optimiziation is worth - and finally I can compile stuff - the prebuild is for people that can't

I should admit I fell on my nose for few times, especially with the usb stuff mainly because I've been using 2.4.X and 2.6.X was new to me and than got excellent support from the usb-dev  group who are also kernel dev people. Though some of the things they couldn't explain, my problems are gone ... and I had time to bug the kubuntu people :-D
(don't tell them this :-) ok )

I usually bug anybody untill I get a fully  101% working system and then use it for few years or untill the hardware dies and can not be replaced.

But I thought it's time to profit from webcam + skype and USB-TV and so mainly crypto stuff that's included in 2.6X, so I had to update not only my notebook but also my servers ...

So what's this list all about

Kind regards