Re: kernel strange behaviour

--- On Sun, 10/12/08, Thorny <thorntreehome@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Thorny <thorntreehome@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: kernel strange behaviour
> To: linux-laptop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Sunday, October 12, 2008, 12:48 PM
> [edit]

> What are those "few things" you are
> "missing", since other people with the
> same D520 are using the stock kernel, I can't think
> what would be
> missing? What happened when you tried to install with the
> stock kernel?

First of all I've always compiled my own kernel and optimized the configuration. If you have a look into the stock kernel config you'll see why. I didn't install kubuntu kernel at all. In the debian one I see CPU = Pentuim M, but myone is Core 2, so I think it's enough reason to explain why I preffer custom kernel.
In my 9-10 years of linux expereience I've been using always custom and it was always good choice.
In second place I have a uvcvideo webcam the drivers are included in the 2.6.26. The third reason is that I have a VMplayer and didn't manage to build it with the on stock kernel .... and finally I'm following the advice of the kernel people to install the latest and to test just for to bug them with my questions ;-)

If you do not have kernel experience I doubt you know more than me and you'll be able to help me. If it would be an easy question most probably I should have fixed it myself

thanks and regards