Re: Repo for tests which fail currently?

On 8/23/23 07:45, Wolfram Sang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> for my talk at EOSS23 about object life-time issues[1], I created a
> loose set of tests checking some longstanding problems in the Linux
> Kernel. I would like to improve these tests. Now, I wonder where I could
> contribute them to because their scope seems different to me. They are
> not for regression testing because I don't have a fix for most of them.
> Some fixes mean rewriting private data allocations for a whole subsystem
> and drivers. The tests are rather meant for documenting known problems
> and checking if someone started working on it. But it seems that
> kselftest (and LTP also?) only accept tests which do not fail by
> default. The question is now, is there another test collection project I
> could contribute these tests to? I'd be very happy for pointers, I
> started looking around but to no avail...

I don't have any good answers, but I did have a similar question a few
years ago about expected build failures.  At the time, I was working on
a build script where I wanted to detect some unsupported situations and
bail out.  I had written tests to verify that the script was performing
as expected, but from I gathered, kselftests were always expected to
succeed (and build).

Anyway maybe your question is less about mechanics (could you invert the
result, i.e. failure is success?) and more about where to collect such
tests?

--
Joe