Re: kselftest build broken?

Hello!

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 at 14:32, shuah <shuah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/12/19 12:29 PM, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
[...]
> > 1. You suggested to install a bunch of packages. That helped to some
> > degree. Is there a way to figure out what packages one needs to
> > install to build the tests other than asking you?
>
> I have to go through discovery at times when new tests get added. I
> consider this a part of being a open source developer figuring out
> dependencies for compiling and running. I don't have a magic answer
> for you and there is no way to make sure all dependencies will be
> documented.

This is something we, as users of Kselftests, would very much like to
see improved. We also go by trial-and-error finding out what is
missing, but keeping up with the new tests or subsystems is often
difficult and tend to remain broken (in usage) for some time, until we
have the resources to look into that and fix it. The config fragments
is an excellent example of how the test developers and the framework
complement each other to make things work. Even documenting
dependencies would go a long way, as a starting point, but I do
believe that the test writers should do that and not the users go
figure out what all is needed to run their tests.

Maybe a precheck() on the tests in order to ensure that the needed
binaries are around?

For what it's worth, this is the list of run-time dependencies package
for OpenEmbedded: bash bc ethtool fuse-utils iproute2 iproute2-tc
iputils-ping iputils-ping6 ncurses perl sudo python3-argparse
python3-datetime python3-json python3-pprint python3-subprocess
util-linux-uuidgen cpupower glibc-utils. We are probably missing a
few.

[...]
> > 10. Do you know if anybody is running kselftests? Running as in
> > running continuously, noticing new failures, reporting these failures,
> > keeping them green, etc.
> > I am asking because one of the tests triggers a use-after-free and I
> > checked it was the same 3+ months ago. And I have some vague memories
> > of trying to run kselftests 3 or so years ago, and there was a bunch
> > of use-after-free's as well.
>
> Yes Linaro test rings run them and kernel developers do. I am cc'ing
> Naresh and Anders to help with tips on how they run tests in their
> environment. They have several test systems that they install tests
> and run tests routine on all stable releases.
>
> Naresh and Anders! Can you share your process for running kselftest
> in Linaro test farm. Thanks in advance.

They're both in time zones where it's better to be sleeping at the
moment, so I'll let them chime in with more info tomorrow (their
time). I can share that we, as part of LKFT [1], run Kselftests with
Linux 4.4, 4.9, 4.14, 4.19, 5.1, Linus' mainline, and linux-next, on
arm, aarch64, x86, and x86-64, *very* often: Our test counter recently
exceeded 5 million! You can see today's mainline results of Kselftests
[2] and all tests therein.

We do not build our kernels with KASAN, though, so our test runs don't
exhibit that bug.

Greetings!

Daniel Díaz
daniel.diaz@xxxxxxxxxx