Re: KTODO automated TODO lists

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:41:48 -0400 Konstantin Ryabitsev <mricon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 08:55:56AM -1000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Well here's a task: write a bot which follows the mailing lists and
> > > sends people nastygrams if one of their emails is more than 95%(?)
> > > quoted text.
> >
> > I think that might be better off as a spam filter rule.
> >
> > Don't make it some after-the-fact "trawl the lists". Just make it a
> > bounce with a "you quoted too much". Same as the html avoidance.
>
> I know people aren't being very serious, but automating this away either
> aggressively (reject as spam) or passive-agressively (whine at poster) will
> run into rare but valid corner cases. For example, we have no way of
> distinguishing between "this person quoted too much from previous message" and
> "this person posted a large but relevant quote from docs or another
> conversation," and so we will likely punish/annoy the innocent.

Rejecting a legtimate email would be bad.

So we choose "whine at poster".  If it's a false positive then they'll
somehow survive the experience.   And, most importantly, the mail
will get through.

> It's better to treat this as a mentoring opportunity and send an off-list
> reply with "please trim your quotes" and maybe a link to
> https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

I'm tiring of sending off-list emails.  This task could be automated.
Which is what I'm suggesting!

> If it helps, I can add a mailing list etiquette page on subspace.kernel.org,
> so it's easier to find.

Great, link to that in the whiney emails.