Re: KTODO automated TODO lists

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 08:55:56AM -1000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Well here's a task: write a bot which follows the mailing lists and
> > sends people nastygrams if one of their emails is more than 95%(?)
> > quoted text.
>
> I think that might be better off as a spam filter rule.
>
> Don't make it some after-the-fact "trawl the lists". Just make it a
> bounce with a "you quoted too much". Same as the html avoidance.

I know people aren't being very serious, but automating this away either
aggressively (reject as spam) or passive-agressively (whine at poster) will
run into rare but valid corner cases. For example, we have no way of
distinguishing between "this person quoted too much from previous message" and
"this person posted a large but relevant quote from docs or another
conversation," and so we will likely punish/annoy the innocent.

It's better to treat this as a mentoring opportunity and send an off-list
reply with "please trim your quotes" and maybe a link to
https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

If it helps, I can add a mailing list etiquette page on subspace.kernel.org,
so it's easier to find.

-K