Re: a dedicated list for build error reports?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 09:30:19AM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2012, Dan Carpenter wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 03:07:55PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> > > From: Fengguang Wu <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx>
> > > Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:01:46 +0800

> > > I find them super annoying, and these reports are extremely sub-optimal
> > > as is.
> > >
> > > The amount of time spent composing these reports could equally be spent
> > > condensing the error down to a small, self contained, set of text
> > > explaining the exact build failure and an initial root-cause estimate.
> > > And sending it to the correct maintainer's list.
> > >
> > > Heck, in the same amount of time, you could even implement the damn
> > > fix!

> > My understanding is the emails are composed automatically and take
> > zero time.  If the error message has a very low false positive rate,
> > then the email is sent without any human interaction at all.

Yeah, that's the main idea. I'm trying to automating the email
reporting so as to achieve fast response time by avoiding human
introduced delays.

Build errors have been mostly automated, except when the system is not
so confident about the correctness of bisection.

Most gcc warnings cannot be false by nature and they are auto reported
too. The "possibly uninitialized variable" warnings have high false
rate, however considering that gcc warnings feels not good even if they
are false ones, I'm sending out private emails to the commit author to
make sure he is at least aware of the (possibly false) warning.

Some of the sparse/smatch/coccinelle warnings can be auto reported,
too.  I'm now maintaining a list that are assumed to have low false
ratio (please correct me, thanks!):

        ______ smatch warnings ______
        redundant null check
        doing dma on the stack
        ______ cocci warnings ______
        casting value returned by
        alloc with no test
        kzalloc should be used for
        casting value returned by k[cmz]alloc to
        returns NULL not ERR_PTR on failure
        PTR_RET can be used
        PTR_ERR applied after initialization to constant
        ERR_CAST can be used with
        inconsistent IS_ERR and PTR_ERR, PTR_ERR
        of_node_put not needed after iterator
        devm_request_mem_region followed by ioremap
        Missing resource_size with
        Suspicious code. resource_size is maybe missing with
        nested lock+irqsave that reuses flags from line
        application of sizeof to pointer
        test of a variable/field address
        opportunity for kmemdep
        opportunity for kstrdep