Re: script to find incorrect tests on unsigneds

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Roel Kluin wrote:

> Thanks for your feedback, julia, I finally used
>
> (
> * i < 0
> |
> * i < -C
> |
> * i > -C
> |
> * i <= -C
> |
> * i >= -C
> )
>
> I noted you had more results in the same files. Is there a difference
> in results when you remove the asterisks before the expression?

I'm not sure to understand the question.  * means "tell me about this
item".  So if you remove the *, it will do same the match, but it won't
give you any output.

Sometimes I have posted to the kernel janitors mailing list semantic
patches, in which - and + are used to remove and add things, rather than
*, which just finds things.  The semantics of the matching done with - and
+ is slightly different from the semantics with *, in that with - and +,
all control-flow paths from the first node matched by the pattern have to
use the metavariables (eg C) in a consistent way, whereas with * there
just has to exist a single path that matches the pattern.  But this is not
relevant to our example, because we are just matching individual terms.

julia