Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild updates for v6.11-rc1

On Tue, 23 Jul 2024 at 12:44, Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You will get a merge conflict in scripts/Makefile.lib

So the merge conflict certainly wasn't too bad, but I really don't
love the complex  fdtoverlay command duplication.

Strangely enough, there's a simplification for the DT_CHECK_CMD case
(used only once), but not for this creation case (now duplicate).

I didn't do it as part of the merge, but may I suggest adding something like

  DT_CREATE_CMD = $(objtree)/scripts/dtc/fdtoverlay -i $(filter %.dtb
%.dtbo, $^) -o

and then using

   $(DT_CREATE_CMD) $@

to pair up with the existing "$(DT_CHECK_CMD) $@" logic?

Or something along those lines?

(And no, I didn't check whether maybe the argument order for the
'fdtoverlay' script might matter, or something like that - I don't
think it does, but I did *not* test the above suggestion or really try
to think about it deeply, just mostly a reaction against the command
duplication particularly when there is now a comment about the
subtlety of the arguments)

             Linus