Re: [MAYBE REGRESSION] kbuild time of kernel compiling

On 1/22/24 6:50 PM, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> On 22.01.24 09:32, Jingbo Xu wrote:
>>
>> I noticed a regression of kbuild time in v6.7, especially when running
>> `make` command when all images have already been compiled.  In v6.6 it
>> takes ~3s, while in v6.7 it takes ~18s.
>>
>> I'm not sure if it's a known issue, or an extra action configurable with
>> a "CONFIG_XX" option.
>> [...]
>
> Not my area of expertise, so take this with a gain of salt, as I might
> mislead you. Nevertheless:
>
> One problem with compile times in 6.7 was noticed and fixed in mainline;
> I wonder if that is the same issue as yours:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/18c6df0d-45ed-450c-9eda-95160a2bbb8e@xxxxxxxxx/
> https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/31e97d7c9ae3de072d7b424b2cf706a03ec10720
>
> I think there was another issue, but can't remember it from the top of
> my head. Maybe simply checking if 6.8-rc1 fixes things might be the best.

Yeah this issue doesn't reproduce anymore after pulling 6.8-rc1.  I
didn't test the latest 6.8-rc1 as our internal mirror repo is one day
later than the upstream, while my machine can not connect to github at
the time...

Anyway thanks for the feedback and sorry for the noise.

--
Thanks,
Jingbo