Re: [MAYBE REGRESSION] kbuild time of kernel compiling

On 22.01.24 09:32, Jingbo Xu wrote:

> I noticed a regression of kbuild time in v6.7, especially when running
> `make` command when all images have already been compiled.  In v6.6 it
> takes ~3s, while in v6.7 it takes ~18s.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a known issue, or an extra action configurable with
> a "CONFIG_XX" option.
> [...]

Not my area of expertise, so take this with a gain of salt, as I might
mislead you. Nevertheless:

One problem with compile times in 6.7 was noticed and fixed in mainline;
I wonder if that is the same issue as yours:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/18c6df0d-45ed-450c-9eda-95160a2bbb8e@xxxxxxxxx/
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/31e97d7c9ae3de072d7b424b2cf706a03ec10720

I think there was another issue, but can't remember it from the top of
my head. Maybe simply checking if 6.8-rc1 fixes things might be the best.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.