[RESEND] Looking for a hack to remove auto-selected items from .config output

Resending without the html cruft to pass through the linux-kbuild mail daemon

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Donald Zickus <dzickus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 6:27 PM
Subject: Looking for a hack to remove auto-selected items from .config output
To: <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-kbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Masahiro,

I am trying to cleanup some stale config data with some of the Red Hat
configs.  Like most distros, Red Hat sets a bunch of 'menu choice'
configs and then merges them together then runs something like 'make
olddefconfig' to autoselect the rest of the configs.  Been working
great for many years.

Lately, we are trying to audit the configs and ran into many stale Red
Hat set configs that no longer exist upstream (removed, renamed,
whatever).  Ok, running a script detects these and we can remove them
by hand.

One corner case we ran into is dropping configs.  Like upstream we try
and match the merged configs with the final setting from 'make
olddefconfig' and fail if there is a mismatch.  However, not every
config is applicable to every arch, so those configs are dropped and
we were always ok with it.  But now those dropped configs are
confusing folks who think configs are set but they are really dropped.
Yes, a Red Hat problem.

I am trying to untangle this.  Is there a hack I can use that takes a
generated .config file and removes all the 'selected' and 'implied'
options out?  Leaving me with just the minimum configs that need to be
set?  Then I can de-merge it and re-create our original set config
options.  Basically reversing the normal config generating process, I
think.

Not looking for anything complicated, just something simple I can quickly apply.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Don