Re: About the .scmversion removal (commit f6e09b07cc12)

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 6:15 AM Guilherme G. Piccoli
<gpiccoli@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Masahiro / all, I was rebuilding the kernel today, just adding some
> debug statements, when I noticed a lot of stuff got built again. I was
> using ".scmversion" to prevent UTS version changes, so only affected
> files got indeed rebuilt.
>
> After commit f6e09b07cc12 ("kbuild: do not put .scmversion into the
> source tarball"), seems this file is automatically deleted and I'm not
> sure how should I proceed to continue with the same behavior.
>
> Apologies if this is a silly question, any advice is much appreciated!
> Also, I've CCed all the emails from [0], so apologies if anybody looped
> here shouldn't be CCed.

Not a silly question, but .scmversion was intended for source
package creation (deb, rpm) in my understanding.

If you want to use a fixed string for the UTS version,
please pass KERNELRELEASE=<some-string> to the build command line.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada