Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild updates for v6.3-rc1

Hi Linus,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 3:58 AM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 8:34 AM Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Masahiro Yamada (46):
> >       kbuild: add a tool to list files ignored by git
> >       kbuild: make perf-tar*-src-pkg work without relying on git
>
> I've pulled this, but I really object to these kinds of silly games.
>
> That whole list-gitignored thing should go away, and silly
> work-arounds for "I don't use git" should likewise just be killed.
>
> There's absolutely _zero_ exzcuse for making our build tools more
> complicated for bad reasons. The "I don't have git" may have been a
> reason a decade ago. It's *not* a valid reason today.

We can say "You must install git on your machine", but IMHO
"the kernel must be managed by git" is a too strong assumption
because snapshots are delivers as a tarball (e.g. https://www.kernel.org/)
I could be wrong, but that is my intent (as in the commit description).

> People who insist on using quilt etc should just realize that then
> they don't get the featrues that git offers.
>
> You can't have your cake and eat it too.
>
> I do *not* want to see git functionality basically duplicated in some
> kernel C helper script just because somebody can't be bothered to just
> use git.
>
>               Linus

If tar's --exclude-vcs-ignores option had worked correctly,
I would not have written such a gitignore parser by myself.
When tar implements --exclude-vcs-ignores correctly,
I am happy to remove this silly tool.
(In turn, tar will end up with a similar gitignore parser as git, though.)

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada