Re: [GIT PULL] Kbuild updates for v6.3-rc1

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 8:34 AM Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Masahiro Yamada (46):
>       kbuild: add a tool to list files ignored by git
>       kbuild: make perf-tar*-src-pkg work without relying on git

I've pulled this, but I really object to these kinds of silly games.

That whole list-gitignored thing should go away, and silly
work-arounds for "I don't use git" should likewise just be killed.

There's absolutely _zero_ exzcuse for making our build tools more
complicated for bad reasons. The "I don't have git" may have been a
reason a decade ago. It's *not* a valid reason today.

People who insist on using quilt etc should just realize that then
they don't get the featrues that git offers.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I do *not* want to see git functionality basically duplicated in some
kernel C helper script just because somebody can't be bothered to just
use git.

              Linus