Re: hidden string Kconfig ?

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 11:50:56AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:

> In current Kconfig, a 'string' type symbol is written to the .config when
>
> [1] it has a visible prompt
>     https://github.com/masahir0y/linux/blob/v4.19/scripts/kconfig/symbol.c#L364
>
>    or
>
> [2] it has a default property
>     https://github.com/masahir0y/linux/blob/v4.19/scripts/kconfig/symbol.c#L421

Ok.

> I am open to changing the behavior
> as long as it keeps grammatical consistency, though.
>

> As far as I understood this particular case,
> CONFIG_CMDLINE will go away after the GENERIC_CMDLINE migration is done.
>
> (At least, upstream x86 and powerpc defconfig files seem complete).
>

> Perhaps, some prompt for migration could be useful?
>
> config CMDLINE
>         string "(LEGACY) Please make this empty and use CMDLINE_PREPEND instead"

I think it would be confusing to leave it. The reason I wanted to have it in
there silently is so I can print a warning, or BUILD_BUG_ON (which is what I
currently do). Just so that people 1) don't lose those options, and 2) So that I
can remind or catch people when they don't notice there was a change. Russell
(ARM32 maintainer) complained in this regard.

I'll look into the Kconfig code and see if I can make something acceptable.

Daniel