hidden string Kconfig ?

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to have a string in Kconfig which is
hidden from the menu, but still exists in the .config?

Like,

HIDDEN_STRING
	string

then in the config file there would be,
CONFIG_HIDDEN_STRING="hidden"

and the config option wouldn't be used for anything inside Kconfig. It would
just get set from the .config , or not be set?

The above sample, I've not been able to make work. The string in the .config
gets erased when menuconfig runs.

Any help appreciated.

Daniel