Re: .S_shipped unnecessary?

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:42 AM Ard Biesheuvel <ard.biesheuvel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> (+ Masahiro, kbuild ml)
>
> On 8 November 2018 at 21:37, Jason A. Donenfeld <Jason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Ard, Eric, and others,
> >
> > As promised, the next Zinc patchset will have less generated code! After a
> > bit of work with Andy and Samuel, I'll be bundling the perlasm.
> >

> Wonderful! Any problems doing that for x86_64 ?
>
> > One thing I'm wondering about, though, is the wisdom behind the current
> > .S_shipped pattern. Usually the _shipped is for big firmware blobs that are
> > hard (or impossible) to build independently. But in this case, the .S is
> > generated from the .pl significantly faster than gcc even compiles a basic
> > C file. And, since perl is needed to build the kernel anyway, it's not like
> > it will be impossible to find the right tools. Rather than clutter up commits
> > with the .pl _and_ the .S_shipped, what would you think if I just generated
> > the .S each time as an ordinary build artifact. AFAICT, this is fairly usual,
> > and it's hard to see downsides. Hence, why I'm writing this email: are there
> > any downsides to that?
> >

> I agree 100%. When I added this the first time, it was at the request
> of the ARM maintainer, who was reluctant to rely on Perl for some
> reason.
>
> Recently, we have had to add a kludge to prevent spurious rebuilds of
> the .S_shipped files as well.
>
> I'd be perfectly happy to get rid of this entirely, and always
> generate the .S from the .pl, which to me is kind of the point of
> carrying these files in the first place.
>
> Masahiro: do you see any problems with this?

No problem.

Documentation/process/changes.rst says the following:

You will need perl 5 and the following modules: ``Getopt::Long``,
``Getopt::Std``, ``File::Basename``, and ``File::Find`` to build the kernel.

We can assume perl is installed on the user's build machine.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada