Re: .S_shipped unnecessary?

Hey Ard,

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:42 AM Ard Biesheuvel
<ard.biesheuvel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Wonderful! Any problems doing that for x86_64 ?

The x86_64 is still a WIP, but hopefully we'll succeed.

> I agree 100%. When I added this the first time, it was at the request
> of the ARM maintainer, who was reluctant to rely on Perl for some
> reason.
>
> Recently, we have had to add a kludge to prevent spurious rebuilds of
> the .S_shipped files as well.
>
> I'd be perfectly happy to get rid of this entirely, and always
> generate the .S from the .pl, which to me is kind of the point of
> carrying these files in the first place.

Terrific. I'll move ahead in that direction then. It makes things _so_
much cleaner, and doesn't introduce new build modes ("should the
generated _ship go into the build directory or the source directory?
what kind of artifact is it? how to address $(srcdir) vs $(src) in
that context? bla bla") that really over complicate things.

Jason