Re: [RFC] mconf: suppress empty submenus

Dirk Gouders <dirk@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed that sometimes it happens that there are empty
> submenus, and I tried to see if they can't be suppressed
> by mconf (if not explicitely done by the kbuild-language).
>
> Well, I am not sure if someone wants this change and also
> if I realized all possible situations and therefore the
> patch is not meant to be accepted as is but as a proof-of-concept.
>
> Because of that I implemented the changes as a new function
> menu_is_visible_new() and a helper function that walks the whole menu
> structure and compares the results of the old and the new function.
>
> I also tried to add coments to the new function which reflect
> my understanding but of course might be incomplete or even wrong.
>
> I'd be glad if someone takes the time to test and/or review
> the code or comment on the sanity of such a change.
>
> Attached is an example output of the helper function (i.e.
> empty dialogs that would be suppressed by the menu_is_visible_new()).

Sorry, I noticed the first problem with one potential user (nconfig) of
such a change: with `nconfig' one cannot enter those hidden empty
submenus even when turning on all options with (F4), in which case the
submenu wouldn't be empty.

So, for a complete proof-of-concept I need to do some more work which I
think should also contain a proof that the setting of the
SYMBOL_DEF_USER flag behaves exactly the same as before.

Dirk

PS: In the original message, `sed s/kbuild/kconfig/', of course.