Re: [2.6 patch] kconfig-language.txt: remove bogus hint

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 01:27:41PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 11:01:37AM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > Please elaborate...
> >
> > In the hint C is described as a tristate.
> >
> > But you need this idiom only when A is a tristate and C is a bool.
> Thats another case.
> What is described is following simple situation:
>
> config FOO
>         bool "Modules"
>         option modules
>
> config A
>         tristate "a"
>
> config B
>         tristate "b"
>         depends on A
>
> config C
>         tristate "c"
>         depends on B
>         depends on A = y || A = B
>

> C uses a symbol defined by A - let us name it foo().
> If C is build-in and A is a module =>
> 	link error - unable to resolve foo.
>
> So we say:
> if A is buildin C may be built-in or module.
> if A is a module C may not be built-in.
>
> This is what this hint describes.

In your example C does not need any dependency on A at all since it
is already handled through the dependency chain C->B->A.

> I would certainly love to see some of the other typical cases
> described too.
>
> We need a description that covers the LED case. And I think
> you would be the best to come up with a description considering
> the time you have spent investigating it.
> Could you try to come up with either a suggested wording
> or a patch?

Roman is the one who actually fixed it:
  http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/30/615

I'm not sure whether we have often the opportunity to solve something
this way.

> Thanks,
> 	Sam

cu