Re: [RFC V2] IMA Log Snapshotting Design Proposal

On Sun, Jan 7, 2024 at 7:59 AM Mimi Zohar <zohar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2024-01-06 at 18:27 -0500, Paul Moore wrote:

> > > What is being defined here is the first IMA critical-data record, which
> > > really requires some thought.
> >
> > My thinking has always been that taking a hash of the current
> > measurement log up to the snapshot point would be a nice
> > snapshot_aggregate measurement, but I'm not heavily invested in that.
> > To me it is more important that we find something we can all agree on,
> > perhaps reluctantly, so we can move forward with a solution.
> >
> > > For ease of review, this new critical-
> > > data record should be a separate patch set from trimming the
> > > measurement list.
> >
> > I see the two as linked, but if you prefer them as separate then so be
> > it.  Once again, the important part is to move forward with a
> > solution, I'm not overly bothered if it arrives in multiple pieces
> > instead of one.
>
> Trimming the IMA measurement list could be used in conjunction with the new IMA
> critical data record or independently.  Both options should be supported.
>
> 1. trim N number of records from the head of the in kernel IMA measurement list
> 2. intermittently include the new IMA critical data record based on some trigger
> 3. trim the measurement list up to the (first/last/Nth) IMA critical data record
>
> Since the two features could be used independently of each other, there is no
> reason to upstream them as a single patch set.  It just makes it harder to
> review.

I don't see much point in recording a snapshot aggregate if you aren't
doing a snapshot, but it's not harmful in any way, so sure, go for it.
Like I said earlier, as long as the functionality is there, I don't
think anyone cares too much how it gets into the kernel (although
Tushar and Sush should comment from the perspective).

> > > As I'm sure you're aware, SElinux defines two critical-data records.
> > > From security/selinux/ima.c:
> > >
> > >         ima_measure_critical_data("selinux", "selinux-state",
> > >                                   state_str, strlen(state_str), false,
> > >                                   NULL, 0);
> > >
> > >         ima_measure_critical_data("selinux", "selinux-policy-hash",
> > >                                   policy, policy_len, true,
> > >                                   NULL, 0);
> >
> > Yep, but there is far more to this than SELinux.
>
> Only if you conflate the two features.

If that is a clever retort, you'll need to elaborate a bit as it
doesn't make much sense to me.  The IMA measurement log snapshot is
independent from SELinux; the only connection is that yes, IMA does
measure SELinux "things" but that is no different from any other
system attribute that is measured by IMA.

--
paul-moore.com