Re: [RFC V2] IMA Log Snapshotting Design Proposal

On Sat, 2024-01-06 at 18:27 -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 9:07 PM Mimi Zohar <zohar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > It would be nice if you could provide an explicit list of what you
> > > would want hashed into a snapshot_aggregate record; the above is
> > > close, but it is still a little hand-wavy.  I'm just trying to reduce
> > > the back-n-forth :)
> >
> > What is being defined here is the first IMA critical-data record, which
> > really requires some thought.
>
> My thinking has always been that taking a hash of the current
> measurement log up to the snapshot point would be a nice
> snapshot_aggregate measurement, but I'm not heavily invested in that.
> To me it is more important that we find something we can all agree on,
> perhaps reluctantly, so we can move forward with a solution.
>
> > For ease of review, this new critical-
> > data record should be a separate patch set from trimming the
> > measurement list.
>
> I see the two as linked, but if you prefer them as separate then so be
> it.  Once again, the important part is to move forward with a
> solution, I'm not overly bothered if it arrives in multiple pieces
> instead of one.

Trimming the IMA measurement list could be used in conjunction with the new IMA
critical data record or independently.  Both options should be supported.

1. trim N number of records from the head of the in kernel IMA measurement list
2. intermittently include the new IMA critical data record based on some trigger
3. trim the measurement list up to the (first/last/Nth) IMA critical data record

Since the two features could be used independently of each other, there is no
reason to upstream them as a single patch set.  It just makes it harder to
review.

> > As I'm sure you're aware, SElinux defines two critical-data records.
> > From security/selinux/ima.c:
> >
> >         ima_measure_critical_data("selinux", "selinux-state",
> >                                   state_str, strlen(state_str), false,
> >                                   NULL, 0);
> >
> >         ima_measure_critical_data("selinux", "selinux-policy-hash",
> >                                   policy, policy_len, true,
> >                                   NULL, 0);
>
> Yep, but there is far more to this than SELinux.

Only if you conflate the two features.

Mimi