RE: [DISCUSSION] IMA Signature Measurements

>On Wed, 2019-02-27 at 22:02 +0000, Jordan Hand wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been looking into how IMA policies work for
>> measuring/appraising in specific scenarios such as kexec. IMA has
>> specific policies for these scenarios (i.e. setting func to
>> KEXEC_KERNEL_CHECK). While these policies do exist, in practice it
>> seems that IMA treats these files the same way it treats any other
>> file; it will validate and measure (in the case of ima-sig) based on
>> the IMA signature in the file's inode.
>
>or security.ima could contain a file hash, while security.evm contains a signature.
>

>> It seems that this policy is mostly a placeholder in case there is a
>> desire later to do some different behavior based on the file type
>> (correct me if I'm wrong and there's another reason for having the
>> KEXEC_KERNEL_CHECK function).
>
>Policies are defined in terms of hooks, LSM labels, and other file metadata.  True
>the FILE_CHECK hook could be defined to measure, appraise, audit the kexec
>kernel image, but it might not require a signature.  Defining a policy containing
>KEXEC_KERNEL_CHECK allows specifying the kexec'ed kernel module be signed
>without requiring all files to be signed.
>

>> I wanted to get feedback on the possibility of IMA measuring a
>> different signature type during kexec. In general kernal images are
>> signed as PE files, with the signature embedded in the file image.
>> Normal kexec (not the IMA path) validates this type of signature. I
>> would like to use IMA to both appraise and measure based on this
>> signature instead of the IMA signature (this could have a Kconfig
>> flag).
>
>The ima-sig template contains a file hash and an IMA signature field.
> The file hash needs to remain the file hash of the entire file.
> Thiago is currently adding support for a kexec kernel image appended
>signature.  He's defining two new template fields named d-modsig and modsig
>and a new policy "appraise_type" named "modsig".
>
>You could do something similarly.

Ah, I missed that patch set. That seems to be very close to what I wanted. I'll take a deeper look.

As an aside, is there any mechanism for measuring things other than files in the kernel (IMA or otherwise)? As an example, I was looking into measuring the kernel command line string being used during kexec. I suppose at that point its getting away from the purpose of IMA to measure files being loaded/executed on the system.

>> Alternatively it could look for both. I think this makes sense because
>> it means folks can make use of IMA's measurement capabilities while
>> still signing the kernel image in the same way they have always signed
>> it for kexec. This also makes the signing/packaging/installing story
>> simpler for kernels wishing to make use of IMA as they don't have to
>> ship with IMA/EVM signatures.
>
>For systems which support PE signatures, distros don't need to provide
> both PE and IMA signatures.  Please refer to the IMA x86 architecture specific
>policy being upstreamed and the IMA kselftest patches that I posted yesterday.

Thanks, will look into this.

-Jordan