Re: hid-logitech-dj support for Anywhere 3SB

On Sat, 2024-04-13 at 10:20 +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 12 April 2024 21:53:31 CEST Filipe Laíns wrote:
> > On Fri, 2024-04-12 at 11:10 +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am writing because you are listed as author of the hid-logitech-dj
> > > driver. I recently bought a Logitech Anywhere 3SB mouse, and found Linux
> > > didn't recognize it. Thinking it was a simple case of new IDs not
> > > recognized, I quickly added them to the logitch HID++ drivers (patch
> > > attached), both for USB with the new receiver and for the Bluetooth
> > > direct connection.
> > >
> > > I have noticed however that the patch while causing them to be recognized
> > > and interacted with as HID++ devices, it has a flaw. The scroll wheel
> > > events are reported by the linux kernel as being in hires mode, while
> > > haven't actually enabled it on the mouse. You can fix that using Solaar,
> > > but some piece is missing to enable it correctly in the driver.  Since
> > > this is no longer a trivial fix. I wanted to reach out. Do you have any
> > > suggestions?
> > >
> > > Best regards
> > > Allan
> >
> > Hi Allan,
> >
> > Thank you for reaching out.
> >
> > What likely is happening here is Solaar overwriting the configuration that
> > the kernel driver sets, as that would happen after the driver talks to the
> > device.
> >
> > The settings in question need support in both the kernel and the userspace
> > input stack (libinput) for them to work appropriately, it's not like
> > configuring RGB or other sort setting on the device that works standalone.
> We already have the support in the kernel and libinput. That is why I am
> expanding it to recognize this new device id.(?)

Yes, that sounds right.

> > I have, multiple times now, asked for Solaar to not expose these low level
> > settings that need support from other parts of the input stack, leaving them
> > to the kernel to configure.
> > I have been inactive in the Solaar project for quite some time now, so I
> > don't feel like yet again make a big deal out of this there, so that this
> > decision is reconsidered. I have already spent a significant amount of
> > effort there, and nowadays I barely have energy to go through my day and
> > deal with my all my responsibilities and other OSS project involvements, so
> > I sadly have no more energy to spare there.
> >
> > My recommendation is: disable Solaar from running at startup, restart the
> > system, and see if that solves your problem. If it does, report this issue
> > again to the Solaar upstream, then depending on that outcome, make a
> > decision on how to proceed. It may be that setting the high-resolution
> > settings in Solaar, which are expected by the driver, works, but it might
> > not be super reliable, because since Solaar is overwriting the settings
> > configured by the kernel driver, if anything in the kernel driver changes,
> > then the setting you have configured in Solaar might no longer be correct.
> > There are alternatives to Solaar that do not have this issue, like
> > libratbag, but these generally are feature lacking on the productivity line
> > of Logitech projects.
> >
> > Sorry I wasn't able to help much, but I hope that this clarifies things a
> > bit, and helps you solve your problem.
> >
> Thanks. You are right, it works with solaar uninstalled, I only installed it
> to check the details of a device not recognized by the kernel.
>
> So the patch as send to you before is then upstreamable. Is there anything
> more I need to do, to facilitate the upstreaming?
>
> Best regards
> Allan

Great to hear!

The patch you sent seems pretty good for upstreaming, I would maybe just split
the Makefile changes into a separate patch and submit those separately, if
that's something you actually want to upstream. Additionally, it seems to me
like the mouse can work wired, so I would also add the USB PID of the wired
connection to the hidpp driver, that way everything should work as expected on
all interfaces.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,
Filipe Laíns