Re: hid-logitech-dj support for Anywhere 3SB

On Fri, 2024-04-12 at 11:10 +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing because you are listed as author of the hid-logitech-dj driver. I
> recently bought a Logitech Anywhere 3SB mouse, and found Linux didn't
> recognize it. Thinking it was a simple case of new IDs not recognized, I
> quickly added them to the logitch HID++ drivers (patch attached), both for USB
> with the new receiver and for the Bluetooth direct connection.
>
> I have noticed however that the patch while causing them to be recognized and
> interacted with as HID++ devices, it has a flaw. The scroll wheel events are
> reported by the linux kernel as being in hires mode, while haven't actually
> enabled it on the mouse. You can fix that using Solaar, but some piece is
> missing to enable it correctly in the driver.  Since this is no longer a
> trivial fix. I wanted to reach out. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Best regards
> Allan

Hi Allan,

Thank you for reaching out.

What likely is happening here is Solaar overwriting the configuration that the
kernel driver sets, as that would happen after the driver talks to the device.

The settings in question need support in both the kernel and the userspace input
stack (libinput) for them to work appropriately, it's not like configuring RGB
or other sort setting on the device that works standalone.
I have, multiple times now, asked for Solaar to not expose these low level
settings that need support from other parts of the input stack, leaving them to
the kernel to configure.

I have been inactive in the Solaar project for quite some time now, so I don't
feel like yet again make a big deal out of this there, so that this decision is
reconsidered. I have already spent a significant amount of effort there, and
nowadays I barely have energy to go through my day and deal with my all my
responsibilities and other OSS project involvements, so I sadly have no more
energy to spare there.

My recommendation is: disable Solaar from running at startup, restart the
system, and see if that solves your problem. If it does, report this issue again
to the Solaar upstream, then depending on that outcome, make a decision on how
to proceed. It may be that setting the high-resolution settings in Solaar, which
are expected by the driver, works, but it might not be super reliable, because
since Solaar is overwriting the settings configured by the kernel driver, if
anything in the kernel driver changes, then the setting you have configured in
Solaar might no longer be correct.
There are alternatives to Solaar that do not have this issue, like libratbag,
but these generally are feature lacking on the productivity line of Logitech
projects.

Sorry I wasn't able to help much, but I hope that this clarifies things a bit,
and helps you solve your problem.

Cheers,
Filipe Laíns