Re: Getting the raw keycode to implement a new key in Linux

On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 at 16:29, Marcos Alano <marcoshalano@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a Dell G15 5511 laptop and this machine has a very particular
> feature: a key called "G- key" (accessed pressing Fn+F7) which is used
> (on Windows at least) to do a boost in the machine. The details about
> how this boost works is not the question here. The question is: How
> can I find, in the kernel level, what code is emitted? I want to know
> that, so I can start hacking around and come up with a patch, so the
> key can be recognized by the OS, so a user space daemon can be
> triggered to do the boost part (or any other action).

Probably the best starting place is to run the evtest command, choose
your keyboard, and press the key. That should at least give you an
MSC_SCAN line giving you the scan code, unless Dell have done
something in their keyboard controller to treat Fn+F7 as something
other than a normal keypress.

Harry Cutts
Chrome OS Touch/Input team