Re: [External] Using IIO to export laptop palm-sensor and lap-mode info to userspace?

On 08.10.20 09:10, Hans de Goede wrote:

Hi folks,

> Yes and no. At least the lap-mode detection (laptop on someones
> lap rather then sitting on a table) is currently used by the
> embedded-controller for thermal management decisions, basically
> when on someones lap the configurable TPD of the CPU is set lower
> to keep the laptop's bottom skin temperate < 45 degrees Celsius
> (I think it is 45 but the exact number does not matter).

Am I the only one who thinks the whole concept is a pretty weird
idea ?

IIRC the machine becomes slower when it *thinks* its on my lap,
but runs faster - and becomes hotter - when it's laying around
somewhere, eg. ontop of some papers ?

Where can I get the drugs that these guys took ? :o

> With upcoming WLAN cards with configurable transmit power,
> this will also be used as what you call a SAR device.

Same fun. Once a person comes near, the signal gets weaker and
potentially connection breaks. Great fun for debugging.

Back to the technical side: IMHO we should first work out what the
actual purpose of these sensors could be - are they useful for
anything else than just these specific cases ? If not, I'm not
sure whether it makes sense to put them into IIO at all, but using
a specific board driver instead.

Okay, maybe we find these sensors somewhere else (maybe some embedded
stuff), for completely different purpose - in that case having one
standard driver (for the sensor itself) could make sense.

But that leads me to bigger topic: we've got several cases of some
sensors/chips used in different subsystems, eg. simple one-shot
ADCs, eeprom's, etc. ... maybe we should move them to separate
subsystems, which then can be wired to other (more specific) ones
in a very generic way ? ... just some quick+dirty thoughs,

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert