Re: [External] Using IIO to export laptop palm-sensor and lap-mode info to userspace?

On Wed, 2020-10-07 at 11:51 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> <snip>
> > Dmitry, any existing stuff like this in input?
>
> There already is a SW_FRONT_PROXIMITY defined in
> input-event-codes.h, which I guess means detection if
> someone is sitting in front of the screen. So we could add:
>
> SW_LAP_PROXIMITY
> SW_PALMREST_PROXIMITY,
>
> And then we have a pretty decent API for this I think.

>From the point of view of writing the consumer code for this API, it's
rather a lot of pain to open the device node (hoping that it's the
right one for what we need), getting the initial state, setting up
masks to avoid being woken up for every little event, and parsing those
events.

Where would the necessary bits of metadata for daemons to be able to
find that those switches need to get added?

If you go down that route, you'll definitely want a want to attach the
"palmrest" to the touchpad/keyboard that it corresponds to, otherwise
that might have weird interactions when using external keyboards and
touchpads. (I don't know what you'd use that proximity sensor for
though)

Cheers