Re: Could you comment on your commit "synaptics - tell users to report when they should be using rmi-smbus"?

Hi Teika,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Teika Kazura <teika@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Benjamin Tissoires <benjamin.tissoires@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Could you comment on your commit "synaptics - tell users to report when they should be using rmi-smbus"?
>
>> BTW, if you step up to help us merging those entries that would be
>> really appreciated. I see that you sent "RMI4 support for synaptics
>> (users, please test patch)" on September, 9, and these kind of patches
>> are more useful.
>
> Ok, glad to help. I'll try it.

\o/

> I have one question: One user's dmesg (see: https://marc.info/?l=linux-input&m=149824966806346&w=2) reports *four* PNPs, instead of two:
> [   10.414775] psmouse serio4: synaptics: Your touchpad (PNP: SYN019b SYN0100 SYN0002 PNP0f13) says it can support a different bus. [snip]
> S/he added all these four to synaptics.c, namely SYN019b, SYN0100, SYN0002 and PNP0f13, and it worked. But usually you don't need PNPxxxx, I think. What will be the appropriate patch? All three SYNxxx, or only some of them?

I think we should go for the first one only, SYN019b.

> BTW
>> making sure suspend/resume works and that turning on the switch
>> actually changes something
>
> I don't think anyone has noticed some change. Me neither. ;-)

Well, the thing to check is whether or not the SynPS/2 input node
disappeared and if there is a new input node using rmi_smbus.
For instance, on my t450s, there is in the dmesg:
[   19.698540] input: Synaptics TM3053-004 as /devices/rmi4-00/input/input23

One other way to check is to ask if there are entries in
/sys/bus/rmi4/devices. If there are not, then there is no point
actually enabling the touchpad as there will not be any differences.

Cheers,
Benjamin