Re: Could you comment on your commit "synaptics - tell users to report when they should be using rmi-smbus"?

Hi Teika,

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Teika Kazura <teika@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, Benjamin.
>
> Your commit 2fef826e45c6a1e63f55ab72546f7d795300d9a8 [1] on synaptics.c asks users a report to linux-input@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx when their device supports rmi-smbus in addition to ps/2.
>
> Though it was introduced in last May, and there have been some 20 such reports, they have been ignored. What should we users do? I can compile the list of (most of) these devices/reports if you like.

Sorry I thought I missed only a few but, 20 is a rather big number.
When I submitted the patch, I was full of hope that we will fix the
world. However, shortly after, we realized that there was some issues
after a kernel update on one generation of thinkpads and that we
basically had to fix those. I then hold on checking for such reports,
and... there are far too many unanswered reports.

BTW, if you step up to help us merging those entries that would be
really appreciated. I see that you sent "RMI4 support for synaptics
(users, please test patch)" on September, 9, and these kind of patches
are more useful.

> If you're not interested, ok, but then I wonder if it'd be better to revert the above commit.

I think we all would like some help here, and if you can provide this
help, that would greatly enhance the situation. There are a few checks
to do for each users (like making sure suspend/resume works and that
turning on the switch actually changes something). So if you can deal
with those users and provide a patch like you did for the message I
found above, we can surely merge such patches.

If you can't do it, then maybe we can revert my patch and continue
only merging the devices when we tests them, meaning only a few would
get added.

Cheers,
Benjamin