Re: Why is fixing T460p regression taking so long?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 12:25:28PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 4:09 AM, Arkadiusz Hiler <arek@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to know why reverting a serious regression caused by single line
> > change is taking almost a month now.
>
> Dmitry? It does sound like reverting is a complete no-brainer, and
> should have happened immediately.
>
> Sure, it looks like it might a bug in the rmi code, but that does not
> excuse a regression.

Sorry, I checked out for the last few weeks, I should be getting back to
upstream now.

I'll prepare a pull request shortly.

> Added Andrew Duggan too, since he is the source of that
> non-functioning rmi code.
>
> Andrew, see
>
>    https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/8/120
>
> for the rmi issues on resume.

I believe this is not really RMI issue but Lenovo BIOS issue with it
poking into SMbus controller ranges:

On [many] affected systems on suspend we see:

i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: BIOS is accessing SMBus registers
i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.4: Driver SMBus register access inhibited

and naturally the touchpad and trackpoint (if present) are dead
afterwards. There is a proposed workaround for this from Lyude Paul:

	https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/6/26/696

but it is stalled, so at this point rever is indeed prudent.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry