Why is fixing T460p regression taking so long?

CCed Linus and Greg KH

Hey,

I would like to know why reverting a serious regression caused by single line
change is taking almost a month now.

We are leaving people with broken input devices and broken suspend/resume.

Short recap: enabling rmi4 for the ThinkPad T460p results in broken touchpad
experience after the first suspend - either scrolling is not working or the
touchpad cease to work completely, depending on the BIOS version. In the latter
case the device is left in a strange state and makes next suspend entry
impossible.

Reverting 48282969826b ("Input: synaptics - Lenovo Thinkpad T460p devices should
use RMI") solves the problem.

First report I could find (Feb 13):
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/2/13/68

First revert (Feb 19):
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10228565/

Second revert (Feb 23):
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10239877/

As 4.15 made it into distributions we are seeing more bug reports coming.

--
Cheers,
Arek