Re: Question about ABS_DISTANCE's intended usage.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:19:30AM -0800, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 01:56:05PM -0800, Charles Mooney wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm currently working with a touchpad vendor with a new device that
> > supports a limited form of hover detection.  Their sensor is able to
> > detect the presence or absence of a finger/hand/palm hovering over the
> > sensor without touching it, but is unable to report any more details
> > about it.  This is a more limited form of hover detection than some
> > devices which attach a hover state to each finger they see, and can
> > even report x/y coordinates to hovering finger.
> >
> > Instead of using ABS_MT_DISTANCE, it appears that the correct event to
> > use would be ABS_DISTANCE, since the value is not tied to a specific
> > finger.  I would like to check with you all about how this value is
> > intended to be used, because it's not quite as obvious to me as I
> > first thought.
> >
> > We need to handle three basic states:
> >   1. At least one finger is touching the pad.
> >   2. Something is hovering, but nothing is actually touching.
> >   3. Nothing is touching the pad and nothing is detected hovering over it either
> >
> > It's seems clear to me that an ABS_DISTANCE of zero should indicate
> > state #1 and that any other legal positive value should indicate state
> > #2, but I'm less clear on what the best way to handle state #3 is.
> > Currently, I think the best strategy would be to use a value of
> > ABS_DISTANCE = -1 to indicate that there are no fingers seen (hovering
> > or otherwise), does that make sense?
> >
> > If not this, how else would you suggest that this ought to be done?
>
> As we discussed in person, I believe that reporting an "out of bounds"
> value for ABS_DISTANCE when we have to use single-touch mode and thus do
> not have a good way to invalidate a contact, is the easiest option.
> Alternative would be to invent another SYN event, which I'd rather not.
>
> So for devices that support hovering but can not report individual
> hovering contacts we should declare 0..N as ABS_DISTANCE range and report
> following values:
>
>  - 0 when a finger is actually touching
>  - 1..N for hovering fingers
>  - return X < 0 or X > N when no fingers are detected at all; in
>    practice I think we should simply report -1 in this case.
>
> Benjamin, Peter, Henrik, any concerns?

on the touchpads that support hovering we're already using BTN_TOOL_FINGER
together with ABS_DISTANCE, without needing out-of-range reports.
BTN_TOUCH is the signal when a finger is physically touching (or ABS_PRESSURE
if it exists and clients care about it).

So the sequence Charles should send is:

3) <nothing> :)
2)
    EV_ABS ABS_DISTANCE <d> # for d > 0
    EV_KEY BTN_TOOL_FINGER 1
    EV_SYN SYN_REPORT 0
1)
    EV_ABS ABS_DISTANCE 0
    EV_ABS ABS_X <x>
    EV_ABS ABS_Y <y>
    EV_KEY BTN_TOUCH 1
    EV_SYN SYN_REPORT 0
2)
    EV_ABS ABS_DISTANCE <d> # for d > 0
    EV_KEY BTN_TOUCH 0
    EV_SYN SYN_REPORT 0
3)
    EV_KEY BTN_TOOL_FINGER 0
    EV_SYN SYN_REPORT 0

This should work with at least libinput, though I have to check what happens
when you don't send x/y on the first event. I think this would need a patch
in libinput, but that's doable. And it's the same sequence we also use for
e.g. pen tools that support hovering as well.

Cheers,
   Peter