Re: Simple approach to write PS3/PS4 usermode driver?

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:29:18 +0100
Manuel Reimer <mail+linux-input@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> now I've been trying several things, but maybe I missed something.
>
> - If I just blacklist "hid-sony", then everything is dead. No bluetooth
> binding, no "/dev/hidrawX".
> - After some searching, I found out that the core reason for this is a
> "hid_have_special_driver" list in hid-core.c which contains the PS3/PS4
> controller.
> - So I thought: Maybe I can keep "hid-sony" to keep "/dev/hidrawX" and
> somehow detach the generated eventX and jsX devices. I've been searching
> /sys for about half an hour but I didn't find any way to do this. Maybe
> impossible?

Have you tried loading hid.ko with the ignore_special_drivers=1
parameter? I guess that will ignore _all_ special drivers tho, even
mouse and keyboard ones.

> I know that libusb may be an option, but this way I also give up easy
> bluetooth binding. Especially the PS4 gamepad is easy to bind. If the
> resulting bluetooth device wouldn't be blacklisted in hid-core.c.

Alan Ott's hidapi[1] is a better alternative to libusb for hid
devices.

[1] http://www.signal11.us/oss/hidapi/

> Maybe someone can give me a hint. Is there any easy way to get the HID
> to input device translation process ported into usermode without giving
> up all the things that work automatically if hid-sony is active?
>
> Thank you very much for any information.

I reckon a patched kernel is not an option, is it?

If I may, why a userspace driver? Can't you improve the kernel driver
to match your needs? You'd also avoid code duplication this way.

Thanks,
   Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite