Re: Unusual Focaltech driver behavior

Hi Dmitry,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 5:56 AM, Dmitry Tunin <hanipouspilot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I noticed that myself and got some complaints like this.
>> https://github.com/hanipouspilot/ubuntu-fixes/issues/2
>>
>> General issue is that when one finger is on the touchpad, movement of a second finger is ignored, if the first finger does not move.
>> Usually with other touchpads, when you have one finger on the touchpad and move the other, it is recognized as two-finger scrolling.
>> The device itself sends relative packages as normal in that case, but linux driver ignores them, until first finger is moved.
>>
>> I guess, Windows driver behaves same way. I can't test it, since I do not have Windows installed on that laptop.
>>
>> As I understood, Windows driver ignores that one finger is on button area and recognizes movement of the other as one-finger movement.
>>
>> It is clear that we do not know the full protocol or parameters of all touchpad models to have that button area always correct.
>> But it looks like button area is set when 3rd byte in abs package is 00. There is a good chance that it is common for all touchpad models.
>>
>> Do you have ideas how to fix it the easiest way?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dmitry
>>

> I looked at it some more and noticed that if I put one finger on touchpad, then another, then move the second one, rel packets are ignored.
> But if keeping both fingers on touchpad, I move the first one, rel packets work OK.
> This is wrong. I can't get what's wrong with the code at the moment.

It looks like your touchpad is in the mouse emulation mode, not the
raw touch mode. What you get is fed by the touchpad FW ans there is
nothing we can do in userspace to fix that.
That being said, there has been a lot of work with the focaltech
drivers in the previous kernel releases, and maybe trying a v4.0 will
switch your touchpad in the raw mode.
Once it is in raw mode, the software buttons, scrolling and gestures
are all treated in userspace and you will get the expected behavior.

Cheers,
Benjamin