Re: [systemd-devel] Supporting U2F over HID on Linux?

On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Benjamin Tissoires
> <benjamin.tissoires@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It has a HID descriptor, it's recognized by the HID stack, it
>>> understands SET_REPORT, and it generates async HID reports.  Hidraw is
>>> willing to talk to it and, in fact, Chromium talks to it using hidraw
>>> (ugh).
>>>
>>> It's also supposed to be *enumerated* by reading the HID descriptor.
>>> There are multiple vendors of these things, and the USB descriptor
>>> doesn't seem to have anything in it to identify the device.
>>>
>>> I think that's the full extent to which it's a HID device.
>>
>> And the most important, these devices have a button on them :)
>
> Someone should have told the U2F committee that the device should send
> a HID report, then :-/
>
> (Also, at least one implementation is missing the button.  You "press
> the button" by unplugging and replugging the whole device.)

Well, on the Yubico Fido U2F, there is a button, but it only works
when the client calls the right SET_REPORT. I guess it is to prevent
an attack when there is nobody physically behind the key. So
removing/replugging the device gives the same security: a physical
interaction is required.

Not sending an input report is here to help such button-less devices.

Cheers,
Benjamin