Perixx reprogrammable mouse

Hello.
I just bought some new mouses from Perixx MX's series. They work out of the
box with usbhid, even though they don't have an official driver under Linux to
remap buttons, and online I couldn't find anything useful.
So I was planning as a spare time project to write some sort of driver.
I read that usbmon could be useful to understand the protocol, if using
something like a Virtualbox VM with Windows running on it.
Given that, would it be better to make the driver as a kernel module, or as a
userspace application? I couldn't find any reprogrammable mouse driver in the
kernel drivers directory.
I think that the more games will be ported to Linux, the more we'll need soon
to have some support for this gamers-equipment.

I hope you'll give me some hints.

Regards,
Vincenzo.