How to indicate hover touch when exact distance unknown?

[resending as plain text for the list]

Hi folks,

More and more we're seeing touch input devices that support detection
of fingers that are above the surface and not touching. We were
thinking of writing a kernel patch for one such device. Normally we
would indicate distance with ABS_MT_DISTANCE, but we ran into the
problem that sometimes the hardware will not be able to report a
distance (or will stop reporting a distance when it's too great a
number), and we had the (bad) idea to simply report a value or 1 or
255 or something like that when distance is unknown.

Dmitry warned that a similar thing happened with PRESSURE a while ago,
and it was a mess as different drivers did different things.

We are now wondering if we should come up with a standard way to
indicate hover with or without distance (or with distance being
optional). Dmitry had the idea for a new tool type, HOVER; FINGER
would be for touches that are actually touching.

What do folks here think?

Thanks,
-andrew