Re: HID vendor access from user space

Hi

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Nestor Lopez Casado
<nlopezcasad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A device with one mouse collection and one vendor collection would
> give something like this:
> /dev/input/eventX  (no change) this comes via hid-input
> /dev/mouse           (no change)
> /dev/hidrawX         (no change) (all reports still show up here)
> /dev/hidcolX          (reports from corresponding colX will show up here)
>
> So only top level vendor collections which are not parsed (claimed) by
> any hid-xx module today would appear under hidcolX.

I still think you should do that in user-space. That is, whatever
daemon opens the input-device should provide this abstraction (like
via XInput2 etc.). Otherwise, someone else pops up and tells us a
specific non-vendor extension is also unprivileged and wants them as
separate interface. There is no clear split how fine-grained the
access-control should be. Yes, you might have a specific example, but
we don't want to make that a generic interface.

Thanks
David