Re: HID vendor access from user space

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, Nestor Lopez Casado wrote:
>
>> > Frankly, I'd really like to avoid any parsing (deciding about collections)
>> > whatsoever around hidraw, as that was the whole point of creating it in
>> > parallel to hiddev was simply 'no parsing, raw access'.
>>
>> We should avoid naming the new nodes "hidrawX" they could be
>> "hidvendorX" for instance, or it could also be "hidcolX" where col
>> stands for collection. We will be moving the "raw" one level down.
>
> I am still having trouble seeing how this would work together with current
> hidraw.
>
> In your proposal, there will be both hidrawX and hidcolX existing in
> parallel, right?
Yes.

> Who will be deciding what goes to hidcolX instead of
> hidrawX?
The additional code that we will put in place.
Having said that, hidrawX will still get the same reports as before,
nothing will change for those nodes.

> One of the pain points would be -- /dev/hidrawX will have to stay
> anyway for compatibility reasons, so we can't just divide it to multiple
> /dev/hidcolX all of a sudden and never look back.
That's true.

A device with one mouse collection and one vendor collection would
give something like this:
/dev/input/eventX  (no change) this comes via hid-input
/dev/mouse           (no change)
/dev/hidrawX         (no change) (all reports still show up here)
/dev/hidcolX          (reports from corresponding colX will show up here)

So only top level vendor collections which are not parsed (claimed) by
any hid-xx module today would appear under hidcolX.

Unless you have a major blocker, as David said, I think the best would
be to come up with some code and post a proposal patch for
consideration.

> --
> Jiri Kosina
> SUSE Labs