Re: About the PS3 Sixaxis linux driver

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 16:40:29 -0500
simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Simon, sorry for the delay on this one.

> > Actually I intended to rewrite the whole HID descriptor and add a sane
> > mapping for all the buttons (maybe following the Gamepad API and
> > even using the new ABS_ACCEL_* and ABS_GYRO_* events from David
> > Hermann).
>
> I think that the root of the problem here is simply the large number of
> axis, and that the keycodes start at 'axis-x' then overflow into/past the
> MultiTouch keycode.

Yes, and the code that maps HID usages to event keycodes also comes into
play I guess.

> This problem is going to be a more common one as HID drivers present more
> buttons/axis.
>
> We did some patching here:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/hid/hid-sony.c?id=refs/tags/v3.12#n301
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/hid/hid-sony.c?id=61ab44bebdefab296487e7cd723a634849278827
>
> Do we need to fix this is the HID descriptor, or in 'hid-sony' input stuff?

I think both:

  1. adjust the HID descriptor into something that can be more easily
     remapped;

  2. remap the keycodes in hid-sony to those of the gamepad API, because
     AFAICT that can't be achieved by solely deciding HID usage codes in
     the descriptor.

> Do you have example of another driver to copy?

I am doing some work already in this direction, on the lines of what we
did for the ps3remote in hid-sony, but it needs some input bits not
merged yet, I'll send an RFC as soon as this becomes more easily
testable.

Regards,
   Antonio

--