Re: RFC: making the aiptek.c tablet driver xf86-input-wacom compatible

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:17:30AM +0200, Benjamin Tissoires wrote:
> Hi Stephan,
>
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Stefan Brüns
> <stefan.bruens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have started to modify the aiptek tablet driver to be compatible with the
> > xf86-input-wacom driver.
> >
> > Motivation:
> > First, as wacom dominates the market, most configuration frontends are for
> > wacom, desktop integration only exists for wacom, and most application
> > developers only test with wacom tablets.
> > Second, the xf86-input-aiptek driver seems to be unmaintained, at least
> > opensuse has dropped it from distribution, and xf86-input-evdev is no
> > sufficient replacement.
>
> Yes the fact is that xf86-input-aiptek is unmaintained due to lack of
> testers with the device. xf86-input-evdev is not a sufficient
> replacement because it aims at forwarding the raw events from the
> kernel without any processing. For tablets, the de facto natural way
> is to use the wacom driver, which should be called now "tablet" but is
> still called "wacom" for historical reasons.

fwiw, wacom is still very much centered around wacom devices. it will work
from a technical perspective with any tablet but there may be the odd thing
here and there that may look different. we'll have to fix that up as we go
in the X driver, but there are already non-wacom tablets that work fine.

specifically, test your tablet with libwacom as well (or the GNOME stack) as
this covers parts of the device-specific client stack for tablets.

> > So for me there are two possibilities, either replicating all the work done
> > for the wacom driver in the xorg stack and above, or just making the the
> > aiptek driver mimic the output of the wacom kernel driver - I have taken the
> > second option.
>
> thanks for choosing the second solution :) I think Peter will join me
> on this thank you.

yes, indeed. less xorg drivers is the future :)

Cheers,
   Peter