RFC: making the aiptek.c tablet driver xf86-input-wacom compatible

Hi everyone,

I have started to modify the aiptek tablet driver to be compatible with the
xf86-input-wacom driver.

Motivation:
First, as wacom dominates the market, most configuration frontends are for
wacom, desktop integration only exists for wacom, and most application
developers only test with wacom tablets.
Second, the xf86-input-aiptek driver seems to be unmaintained, at least
opensuse has dropped it from distribution, and xf86-input-evdev is no
sufficient replacement.

So for me there are two possibilities, either replicating all the work done
for the wacom driver in the xorg stack and above, or just making the the
aiptek driver mimic the output of the wacom kernel driver - I have taken the
second option.

Currently, I am cleaning up my changes, and I am investigating some bugs in
the original driver parsing the reports from the device.

I have tested my Aiptek 6000U with the xf86-input-wacom driver, and it is
working fine in Krita, Inkscape and The Gimp, configuring the tablet via
kcm_wacomtablet (KDE configuration module).

If anyone is interested, I will send my patches to this list after the
cleanup.

Regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Bergstraße 21  /  52062 Aachen
phone: +49 241 53809034     mobile: +49 151 50412019