Re: Game Controllers

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>     I'd far rather the games with special needs had to do heavy
>> lifting than have the common case be complicated just because someone
>> might want to use a wiimote with a balance board plugged in though a
>> motion plus.
>>
>>     If there was good support for racing wheels, kinect-like
>> controllers and so forth, that would be nice too.  But 99% of games
>> will have their input needs met just fine by the standard controller
>> I'm proposing, the standard keyboard and standard mouse.
>
> So are you arguing for /dev/input/wheel as well? And for applications
> that are a bit more advanced /dev/input_wheel_with_pedals? This is not
> really sustainable when we can already deliver all data through existing
> interface.

    No, I'm arguing the opposite.  I want a canonical mapping for
standard controllers.  Anything that wants more than that can deal
with having to understand specific devices.  What I'm saying is that a
vanishingly small number of games actually care about more than the
standard gamepad.

> And this is better then cherry pick commit 1765326732afd763876348 from
> next branch of input tree, recompile the kernel and see if that fixes
> your issue?

    "Make sure you're running the latest kernel." beats the hell out
of "Make sure you've installed the latest FixLegacyGamepads package.
If your distro doesn't support FixLegacyGamepads or has a version
older than 1.2.62104, you'll need to install git...".

> Again, the kernel will try to do the right thing and produce the correct
> events for new input devices, but we are not going to introduce a copy
> of evdev protocol that limits the events to "standard gamepad" ones.

    Ok.  I can see there's no point arguing this.  What can I do to at
least make sure future devices behave?  Is there anything that can be
done about current devices other than translate in userspace?

                                       Todd.

--
 Todd Showalter, President,
 Electron Jump Games, Inc.